The Dutch pharmaceutical industry is known for its innovation and is considered to be one of the most important pharma players in the world. The industry is healthy and fast-growing and is one of the best-performing sectors in the Dutch economy, making it an ideal industry for starting a business in the Netherlands.
Operating a pharmaceutical company in the Netherlands
There are a variety of business opportunities in the pharmaceutical field in the Netherlands. The selection of focus areas for companies is wide, which includes anything from R&D to running laboratories, manufacturing, wholesale distribution and retail sales through pharmacies and other relevant retailers.
The prices of medicine are regulated in the Netherlands. There is a pre-determined maximum amount that a business may charge for pharmaceutical products.
Starting a pharmaceutical business in the Netherlands
- The first thing to do when starting a business in the Netherlands is to register a company with the Dutch Trade Register which must include the mandatory NACE (Nomenclature of Economic Activities) number. For pharmaceutical businesses, the numbers are as follows (the group and class number will depend on the type of operation):
Section C; Division 21; Group 21.1 – 21.2; Class 21.10, 21.20.
Section G; Division 46, 47; Group 46.4, 47.7; Class 46.46, 47.73.
- Medicine retailers and manufacturers must register and apply for appropriate permits, and get approval from the Dutch Medicines Evaluation Board before they can start operating.
- Manufacturers are required to have a Good Manufacturing Practice certification.
Why choose the Netherlands to start a pharmaceutical company?
- It has a prosperous and thriving health industry.
- The Dutch government charges a substantially lower VAT rate on medicines than on most other goods and services.
- There is a good relationship between the Dutch government and business, an important factor in such a highly regulated industry.
- It is an attractive site for international businesses, with tax discounts for foreign employees.
- The Netherlands houses an innovative pharmaceutical R&D scheme.
- There is strong protection of intellectual property rights.
Do you want to start a pharmaceutical company in the Netherlands? Make the process easier by calling one of our experts now!
Bolder Launch has the right experts for business development in the Netherlands. We offer invaluable advice and guidance and provide you with a unique Business Toolkit to help you understand the Dutch market, the relevant rules and regulations as well as the relevant tax laws and legal practices.